Friday, October 4, 2013

What is Oregano?


I like to buy my oregano plants and I will pant them in my garden, where they can have full sun, which is where they like to be planted in. Oregano needs to be planted in well-drained, soil. I always let the top inch of the soil to dry out between the watering. I will plant my oregano plants, so they are 1 foot apart between each groups of plants. I watch out for these pests on my oregano plants, such as spider mites, aphids and leaf miners. The diseases that I look out for are leave spot and root rot.

I harvest my oregano when the plant reaches 6 inches tall. I will harvest whole stems just before bloom for drying. Then I will cut the whole plant back to 2 to 3 inches above the ground in August, so it will grow new growth.



I take my scissors out to my garden and snip off the ends of the stems! I am going to dry oregano, I will cut off whole stems an inch or two above the soil. To dry, I will hang the leafy stems upside down to dry in the air!

Oregano is used in tomato sauce. I use the leaves either fresh or dried in my vegetables, eggs, cheeses, and meats.

Oregano can be added to olive oil and this will be a perfect seasoning for Italian dishes.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment