Tuesday, November 5, 2013

What Is Stevia?


Stevia is a herb that has many different benefits. The leaves and flowers of the herb stevia has a very sweet flavor which makes it a very excellent sweetener that can be used in foods, beverages, and medicines. It is also a good medicinal herb that supports digestion.

Stevia is an annual herbaceous and it grows between 12 to 15 inches high.



The flowers on stevia are delicate and white, and stevia blooms on and off throughout the growing season.

Stevia prefers an environment that is hot and humid. Stevia are native of Brazil and Paraguay.



I will want to take cuttings from stevia, I should have fairy good success in doing this. After I have got my cuttings I can use a liquid rooting hormone with water and I have to have a nighttime temperature of 70 degree and daytime temperature  need to be in the 90 degree range so to encourage rooting. Seed propagation is also possible. The seeds has to be kept moist and warm, and you should have about 30 percent germination over a 2 to 3 week period.  After the weather is fully settled and very warm I will be able to move my plants outside. I always move my stevia plant back inside before the first frost comes to the area that I  or you live in. If you  live in a tropical regions, stevia can be grown outdoors all year round. Stevia is a clumping plant and it should be spaced 10 to 12 inches apart. To get the best results from your stevia plants, I will need to provide moderate to heavy amounts of water.

Stevia grows best in a rich humus soil. They also likes full sun, particle shade, and shade.

The aerial parts are harvested with either snips or scissors and this can be done at any time during the growing season. The aerial parts can be used fresh or dried.




Summary

This herb is used as a sweetener that can be used in foods, beverages, and it supports healthy digestive tract function.

No comments:

Post a Comment