Monday, November 4, 2013

What Is Prickly Pear?


Prickly pear is a herb. It is used by the people that live in New Mexico and the southwestern part of the U.S.A. Adult-onset diabetics is very common in these cultures so prickly pear is used in their diets because this herb helps to maintain good blood levels.

Prickly pear is a perennial and a cactus. It grows in zones 6 - 11, depending on what species you have on hand or I am using myself. The flowers bloom in pinks and yellower, according to which species that I have planted in my garden. They bloom from late spring into early summer.



Prickly pears are desert plants and they grow from high mountain desert regions and also in the lower desert climates. The prickly pears rely on spring rains to help them through the dry summer.








I will need to simulate the desert environment by stratifying prickly pear seeds for 1 to 2 weeks. Just before, I am going to sow the prickly pear seeds, I will need to soak the seeds for 15 minutes in 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. Then sow immediately in a loose soil mix and keep the temperatures warm. As far as germination goes, the rates and time vary greatly from 10 to 70 percent, and 2 weeks to 3 or 4 months. Be patient and keep the seeds evenly moist. When the seedlings are one year old and well established, this is when I can transplant them outdoors. Water the seedlings very good and then wait for a few days before I will water them again. I make sure that I do not water to much. Some prickly pears will spread more aggressively than others. The plants need to be space 12 to 15 inches apart. I always water lightly when mature. Prickly pears prefers full sun and well-drained sandy soil.

When I am harvesting the pods, fruits, and flowers of the prickly pear I should always wear gloves while snipping it. I will need to singe the spines off the harvested plants by using a campfire flame or a butane lighter. After that I prepare the cactus for use.



Prickly pear is good for balancing blood sugar levels and some gastrointestinal complaints. Also it can be use as a skin herb. This is the  medicinal benefits.
Summary
 The prickly pear is a herb that is also a cactus. The parts used is aerial parts and use them fresh. It is a perennial.




No comments:

Post a Comment